TMS PRESS

The Student News Site of Temecula Middle School

TMS PRESS

TMS PRESS

How to be Happy: a Guide

How to be Happy: a Guide

Let’s be honest. With all the end-of-the-year tests and CAASPP, most students are probably stressed and not at their best in terms of being happy. But how do you become happy, even in stressful situations, and be able to enjoy the last few weeks of school? It’s actually a mix of things; dopamine, a support system, and having a healthy lifestyle.

What Causes You to be Happy?

Doing something that brings you pleasure, like hanging out with your friends or family, releases a chemical in your brain called dopamine. Dopamine can be released by doing things you love like dancing, painting, playing an instrument, or hanging out with friends. However, dopamine should be released by doing good things. For example, the brain releases dopamine if you go on social media which is not good for you so be careful about doing things that are bad for you just to get dopamine.

FUN FACT: Did you know that the kind of music you listen to affects your mood?

Having a Support System

Have you found yourself helping your friend through a hard time but never mentioning your problems? That’s probably what happens with all of us because our mind tricks us into thinking that we shouldn’t be bothered with our problems when in reality, they should. Having people to help guide us through our problems is so important because they could have solutions to your problems and even if they don’t, they are still there for you.

Having a Healthy Lifestyle

When you think of a healthy lifestyle, you probably think of lots of exercise and being prepared, and while these are good things,  a healthy lifestyle is a lifestyle where you can be  happy. It’s so important not to overstress and to have people there for you, ready to help you with anything. A healthy lifestyle also means no toxic friends. Obviously, life isn’t perfect and there will be challenges, failure, and disappointment, but the important thing is that whatever happens right now or in the future is that you can always think of things that make you happy. 

What do you think? What are some things that make you happy and what other advice would you give others? Leave a comment!