TMS PRESS

The Student News Site of Temecula Middle School

TMS PRESS

TMS PRESS

Top Books You Need To Read This Summer

No doubt, there’ll be a time this summer when you’ll be bored out of your mind. Nothing to do, nowhere to go– what better way to spend your time than reading a good, new book? It’s free, exciting, and lets you escape normal life and experience someone else’s story in a different world, or at least learn something new. With that in mind, here are some books you need to read this summer.

Fantasy

1. The Cursed Child

J. K. Rowling, Jack Thorne, John Tiffany

This is the Harry Potter Book you might have never read. It’s written in play format and follows Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy’s sons’ unlikely friendship and their time at Hogwarts. They and a girl named Delphi go back in time to save Cedric Diggory from his original fate, but the journey didn’t go as they planned.

2. Percy Jackson

Rick Riordan

This is the #1 recommendation from TMS Press. This puts Greek mythology in today’s world. He goes to a camp with other demigods and is sent on a quest to retrieve Zeus’s stolen lightning bolt to prevent war. You probably read this book in 6th grade, but the series that follows is thrilling. There is a remake on Disney+ too.

Science Fiction

3. Cinder

Marissa Meyer

This is a fairy-tale retelling set in a futuristic world. Cinder is a cyborg outcast who has a chance encounter with the prince. She starts to unravel the story of her past throughout the series in this retelling of the classic Cinderella. It is the first in a 4-book series (all fairy tale retellings) and is followed by 2 graphic novels. It also happens to be my favorite sci-fi series!

4. Ender’s Game

Orson Scott Card

Set in futuristic Earth, Ender is sent to a battle school for the gifted, in space. HE thinks he is just playing a simulation game at school, but later finds out the truth: they are training to fight against an alien race of bug-like creatures and must be prepared.

Adventure

5. Keeper of the Lost Cities

Shannon Messenger

This is the first in a 9-book series, and also has a companion guide. KOTLC was my absolute favorite book in 6th and 7th grade. It follows 12-year-old Sophie Foster, a girl with telepathic abilities who always felt out of place… Until the day she finds out the reason why.

6. Spy school

Stuart Gibbs

When people believe he has abilities he doesn’t, 12-year-old Benjamin Ripley gets recruited by the CIA and sent on a series of spy missions. This book is known for its action and humor. It’s the first in a series and has also been adapted into a graphic novel!

Romance

7. Matched

Ally Condie 

This is an intriguing novel set in a futuristic society where everyone’s job and match are chosen for them. However, a glitch in the system shows Cassie a second possibility. As a rebellion worsens on the opposite end of the country, she has to make a choice, take risks and fight for her own freedom.

8. Selection Series

Kiera Cass

This is a dystopian romance following America Singer, who lives in one of the lower castes of society. When she is one of 35 chosen to participate in the Selection, she is at first reluctant to even participate, but soon discovers the possibility of a better life with Prince Maxon.

Contemporary Fiction

9. The One and only Ivan

Katherine Applegate

This is the story of a gentle silverback gorilla named Ivan and his experience at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall. It is written in a freeverse style poetry and is the first in the series. It is another one of my top favorites and I just love the personalities of every character. Katherine Applegate is an amazing author.  Book four, The One and Only Family, is coming out in May 2024.

10. Wonder

R.J. Palacio

Wonder is a sweet, inspiring story of 10-year-old Auggie Pullman, who has a facial difference and struggles to find his people when his best friend moves. His experience of middle school and the people he shared it with is a unique one and a must-read. 

So, did you find anything interesting? What are you going to read next? Leave a comment and happy reading!