All About The TMS Spelling Bee

Did you know that the first national spelling bee took place in 1925? TMS had the final round of their Spelling Bee on December 18th, 2023.  Read further, and you’ll discover why Spelling Bees exist and who won the TMS Spelling Bee!

TMS Spelling Bee

After many rounds, the winners were Erin Chung (Champion) and Muni Garg (Co-Champion). They went on to the District Spelling Bee at Day Middle School on January 17th at 4:00. The winners of the district bee were Kiyara Gunawardena and Alternate Ethan Fu from TLES. Kiyara’s winning words were PLANETESIMAL in round 6 and BITTERN, which secured her win. Kiyara will continue to the Riverside County Office of Education (RCOE) Spelling Bee. If Kiyara isn’t able to attend, Ethan will represent the district.

About the Spelling Bee

The first National Spelling Bee was in 1908, held by the National Education Association, but they only held it for one year. Then again, in 1925, a Kentucky newspaper held a small-scale Spelling Bee with only nine competitors. The Spelling Bee has changed in many ways since 1925. Even though it’s a national Spelling Bee competitors can come from places like Canada, or even New Zealand.

To learn more about the spelling bee, click here!

Links

The Buzzy History Of Spelling Bees

View Comments (1)