TMS PRESS

The Student News Site of Temecula Middle School

TMS PRESS

TMS PRESS

Effects from Cyberbullying in Middle School

Bullying has been a problem for many years and has gotten worse through technology. Social media makes it easy for bullies to find targets and start bullying innocent people.  Cyberbullying is at its height, and we need to stop it.

Effects from Cyberbullying

Bullying has always been a huge problem, but now there’s an even bigger one. Cyberbullying has recently become a giant problem with huge costs. Cyberbullying victims face many issues from it. Statistics show that 26% of cyberbullying victims have had suicidal thoughts, and 41% have developed social anxiety. 

Statistics of Cyberbullying

Cyberbullying is on the rise, and more problems have started to present themselves. Since 2016, the percentage of cyberbullying for 13-17-year-olds has increased by 8.3%. That’s an average rise of 1.18% each year. We can only assume that this percentage will keep rising. 

How We Can Help Stop Cyberbullying

It’s time to take action and put an end to this growing problem. To stop this start by reporting a bully if you come across one and be sure to stay aware of people you are following or people who are following you.

How to cope with cyberbullying

Even though it might seem like there’s nothing you can do to combat cyberbullying, there are many ways you can help yourself or others. You can reach out for support from family or friends or you can block the person and increase your privacy settings. Another big thing that you can do is to just ignore the bully. Be sure to reach out to teachers, parents or school staff and share any bullying so they can get you some help.  

Cyberbullying will continue to be a huge problem unless we do something. Are you going to help stop this? Leave a comment.