Snacks to Set the Mood this Christmas

It’s almost Christmas time! One of the most beloved holidays. We all enjoy receiving presents and spending time with our family. But to enjoy Christmas you need Christmas food. But what kind of food?

Nothing beats having Eggnog on a Winter night. Eggnog is made of eggs, egg yolk, sugar, milk, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. These delicious beverages can be chilled, sweetened, or mixed with alcohol (only for people 21+). Eggnog is also healthy since it is made with milk and contains calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and vitamins A and D. Eggnog originated in medieval Britain. The upper classes were the only ones to have access to the milk, sherry, and eggs required to make the first version of eggnog, so it began as an exclusive beverage.

Gingerbread cookies are sweet delicious cookies you can bake with your friends and family. You can build gingerbread houses which can be either fun or frustrating. But when you build the final product you can top it with candies such as gumdrops, candy canes, and anything else you can think of. If you want to you can make them into little gingerbread men and add decorations to them. The first known recipe for gingerbread came from Greece in 2400 BC.

Another example of delicious food is Christmas pudding, also known as Figgy pudding. This treat is usually enjoyed in Britain or other countries. The very first version of the pudding originated in the 14th century. The British-made porridge called “frumenty” is made of beef and mutton with raisins, wines, currants, and spices. But the version today is sweet with dried fruit, nuts, and currants.

Candy canes are the most well-known Christmas candy. Minty with red and white spirals, you can practically get these anywhere. You can hang these on Christmas trees or just enjoy them as a snack. In 1670, the choirmaster at the Cologne Cathedral in Germany handed out sugar sticks to his young singers to keep them quiet during the long Living Creche ceremony.  In honor of the occasion, he had the candies bent into shepherds’ crooks.

Which one of these is your favorite? Leave a comment!

View Comments (3)