TMS PRESS

The Student News Site of Temecula Middle School

TMS PRESS

TMS PRESS

Take a STAB at Pumpkin Carving

With Halloween just around the corner, it’s the perfect time to bring your pumpkins to life. Whether you’re going for a spooky design or an intricate pattern, these ideas and tricks are sure to take your pumpkin masterpiece to the next level. 

Tips and Tricks

1. To draw the face, use a dry-erase marker instead of a permanent one.
  2. If you’re using a real candle, cutting the hole in the bottom could help, but make sure to still put some small holes at the top for the smoke.
  3. If you need help with the design, you can draw or tape a printed paper of your design on the pumpkin, then use thumbtacks to outline the face with holes. This will make carving easier. 
  4. If you simply don’t wanna use a knife, use a drill to carve it. Make sure you hold the pumpkin steady and dry it off occasionally so the guts of the pumpkin don’t make it slippery. 
  5. It’s sad seeing your jack-o-lantern rot after several days. Want it to stay longer? If you have petroleum jelly, spread that on the lid and insides of your jack-o-lantern.
  6. Some of us want to use scented candles but use fake candles. If you want a pumpkin spice scent filling your porch, sprinkle some cinnamon on your lid. 
  7. Etching is another way you can decorate your jack-o-lantern. Get a blade and scrape off the first layers of the pumpkin in your outline. Be careful not to put your fingers close to the blade. This technique preserves your pumpkins and is easier!
  8. Want to add a little wow factor to your jack-o-lantern? You can paint it, put on accessories, and use the leftover pumpkin guts/pieces to add some dimension. 

Ideas

White Pumpkin Ghost

This ghost design is pretty amazing when it comes to white pumpkins. If you have trouble carving it, print an outline and tape it on. 

Smiling Pumpkin

Add a huge smile to your jack-o-lanterns with the stem as the nose! Don’t be afraid to add some teeth and extra details. 

Cannibal Pumpkin

Make a simple face but add a twist to it. Add toothpicks to the eyes and mouth and stick as many pumpkin seeds as you want on them. Get some red coloring and paint it onto the seed. 

Scarecrow

After carving your pumpkin, get a jacket, pants, and a hat and stuff them with fall leaves. Assemble your scarecrow and you’re done. 

Pumpkin in a Pumpkin

If you have a large and small pumpkin, consider making this one! Carve a big pumpkin then paint or glue on a face for the small one. Put the small pumpkin in and put a candle behind it. 

Pumpkin Eating Pumpkin

Carve your mini pumpkin to look scared, and carve your big pumpkin where the mouth has enough room to hold the smaller one. Add teeth and more details if wanted.

Puking Pumpkin

Carve your pumpkin with a huge mouth and keep your leftover guts. After cleaning out your whole pumpkin, grab the guts and insert them in and out the mouth. 

Eye/Big Smile Pumpkin

Feeling happy? Carve your pumpkin with a big smile to show their happiness. If you want to spook trick-or-treaters, carve an eye out to death-stare people who cross by. 

RV Pumpkin

If you have any extra pumpkins and want to make something fun, this is just the right one for you. Carefully cut 2 small pumpkins in halves and put them aside. Carve your RV and use toothpicks or glue to stick your wheels on.

Fun Fact

Tired of using your hand to carve? You can use chickens to carve your pumpkins! If you don’t wanna get messy carving pumpkins and have a chicken lying around, try letting them carve it. Get a pumpkin a slightly carve out your face. Put some grub/food on the face and then let them do their job. Eventually, you will have an amazing jack-o-lantern, without all the work. 

What did you think of these tips and tricks? Will you use any of these ideas? Leave a comment!

Sources: 

Tips and Tricks

Ideas 1

Ideas 2

Chickens Fun Fact