TMS PRESS

The Student News Site of Temecula Middle School

TMS PRESS

TMS PRESS

Study Tips to Ace Your Next Exam

Study Tips to Ace Your Next Exam

Let’s face it, we’ve all gotten a bad grade or two. Maybe it was because the information didn’t stick, or maybe it’s because you forgot to study. In any case, here are some study tips to make sure you ace your next test.

1.Have a Study Space

A quiet study space is essential for studying. Setting up your dream study space can make you more motivated to do homework. Make sure there aren’t any distractions (like your phone) and have everything you need beside you. Don’t study on your bed though, it will make you drowsy and can actually hurt your sleep.

2. Know How to Take Notes

Knowing how to take notes can make or break your studying process. Cornell notes are one of the best methods. Divide your notes into three sections like the picture. One is for actual note taking, one is for comments or blurting, and the third is a summary of your notes. Learning how to take notes can help information stick!

3. Blurting

Blurting is an excellent study technique. Sometimes reading your notes isn’t enough. After reading your notes carefully, grab a sheet of paper and jot down everything you remember from your notes. Go over everything you’ve written down and compare them with your notes. Then, you can see what you really remember and what you need to study up on. This technique is great with history or science classes.

1. Avoiding Distractions

How many times were you about to do something, but then you got distracted by something else? Getting distracted is bad if you are studying for tests, especially if you’re on your phone. Leaving your phone in a different room could help with that. If you want to take it to the next level, ask someone in your house to hide it for you. Playing classical music can also keep you focused on school work as well. Pair that with a good study place and you’ll be in the zone.

1. Have a Planner

Forgetting you have homework is bad. You end up getting a zero and you’re unprepared. Getting a planner can help you remember that Math assignment or that Science test. This means you won’t be scrambling at the last minute to finish or remember something. It can also help you divide your time on what needs to be done today or what can be done tomorrow.

So, what did you think? Did these study tips help you? Tell us in the comments!

View Comments (5)